Monday, December 28, 2009

The first day of the rest of my life

Optimism is a beautiful thing. I woke up today, just knowing life would be different. A new day, a new chance to make better choices. I want to give myself the best life I can. Some things in life are beyond my control... those things I just have to leave up to God. He will handle them according to His plan for me. The other things, well, it's high time I stop complaining and start improving them.
First goal- be healthier. I'm not going to call this a "diet" or a "weight loss" plan. I just want to be healthy. To feel good about myself, knowing I will live long enough to see grandchildren someday. My plan for this is to start slowly... not to jump right in, as I am so prone to do. I'm starting today with the Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred dvd. This is a 20 minute (totally doable) workout. I weighed in this morning (239.4 ack!!) and will not weigh again for 30 days. On the eating aspect, I am just going to do my best to make healthy choices. I went grocery shopping yesterday and bought oranges, apples, grapes, pineapple, string cheese, and pretzels to use as snacks. I did NOT bring home any soda. Yippee!! I cannot lie and say that I can do water... I just can't. So I plan to make unsweet tea and use Equal.
Second goal- improve my spiritual life. I have fallen by the wayside on this big time. I struggle when I don't have a plan for my Bible reading. So my friend Astreia suggested I start with the book of Romans. Read a little each day, write what comes to me. I think I can handle that. After my Bible reading, I will spend some time in prayer. Gotta quit saving prayer for when I need it... I need to remember that it's a relationship with God. I have to maintain the lines of communication all the time!
Third goal- improve my marriage. This one is pretty self explanatory. I am starting The Love Dare today. I tried it last summer, but only got to day 12 (it's a 40 day challenge). I can't wait to see what happens from this one!

So... there are my goals. Are they big? Yes. Are they realistic? Yes. I am feeling good about this new outlook on my life.

3 comments:

  1. Totally realistic goals! You can do this, girl...I'm here for ya! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so loved what you said about not making plans and resolves...seems those well-intentioned goals just set us up for failure and depending on ourselves. I mean aren't WE the ones who got us in this place in the first place. I just love talking/reading your blog. You and I live in parallel universes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope that makes sense...I mean about the dieting goals. The other goals are awesome.

    ReplyDelete